There might come a time when you decide you no longer require the services of your Fidelity Investment account. Such decisions can be driven by a variety of reasons – whether it’s switching to different investment platforms, simplifying your portfolio, or dissolving assets. Irrespective of the circumstances, it’s important to understand how to delete your Fidelity account. This article provides a comprehensive guide on how to close your Fidelity investment account, contact the customer support at Fidelity, and answers some of the frequently asked questions.
Step-by-Step Guide on Deleting Your Fidelity Account
Unfortunately, Fidelity does not currently provide an online option to close your account, meaning the process has to be done manually, either over the phone, via mail, or in person. Below are the methods involved in this process.
Method 1: Close Fidelity Account Over the Phone
1. Contact Fidelity’s customer service line at 800-343-3548.
2. Inform the representative you want to close your account.
3. Verify your profile information to authenticate your identity.
4. Follow their instructions to successfully close your account.
Please note that you may need to be patient as this process might take some time due to security precautions.
Method 2: Close Fidelity Account Via Mail
1. Write a signed letter stating your account number and your intent to close your account.
2. Mail the letter to Fidelity Investments, P.O. Box 770001, Cincinnati, OH 45277-0047.
3. Await written confirmation.
Method 3: Close Fidelity Account In Person
1. Visit your nearest Fidelity Investor Center.
2. Inform the staff member of your intention to close your account.
3. Bring necessary identification for verification.
4. Follow their directions to finalize the process.
How to Contact Fidelity Customer Support?
For any queries, you can contact Fidelity customer service in the following ways:
– Via Phone – Reach out to their representatives at 800-343-3548. The representatives are available 24/7.
– Online – Visit the Fidelity website and use the ‘Contact Us’ form.
– Email – Available directly through your Fidelity account.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can I delete my Fidelity account online?
No, currently there is no option to delete your account online. You need to contact customer service, mail a signed letter or visit a Fidelity Investor Center.
2. What happens to my investments when I close my Fidelity account?
Before closing your account, you need to liquidate any securities or investments. The monetary value of this is then transferred to you in a manner specified by you.
3. Can I reopen a closed Fidelity account?
Yes, you can reopen a closed account by contacting Fidelity directly.
4. Is there a fee for closing my Fidelity account?
Fidelity does not charge for account closures. However, you may be subject to other fees depending on the investments you have.
5. How long does it take to close a Fidelity account?
The duration typically depends on the method of closure, but it could take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.
Closing a Fidelity account is a relatively straightforward process that can be accomplished through multiple methods. Make sure to liquidate all securities and settle any outstanding fees prior to closure. Remember to take note of the potential tax implications when closing an investment account. Always refer to Fidelity’s customer service for personalized advice on your account closure process.